Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Spinach and Yellow Pepper Clafoutis

My love affair with clafoutis began in 2008 when I first made Nicole at Baking Bites' Cherry Tomato Clafoutis. I served it at a brunch I hosted, which I spent face down in my bed asleep among coats as I had worn myself out with vigorous cleaning and baking after a night out. My personal performance brought  laughter but the clafoutis brought raves. In fact I believe my former roomate, Tracey's, mom still makes it frequently. I also have tried Nicole's sweeter, still delicious, Pear Clafoutis with the twist of bacon crumbles and mint.

Yesterday morning I made a new version throwing together spinach, yellow peppers and oregano thinking of Greek food. I also substituted whole wheat flour for the all purpose flour just because. The active time is about 15 minutes, so clafoutis is perfect when you want something simple and filling with an impressive appearance. Think of a souffle, only with a third of the effort and the ability to travel well and reheat nicely (should you have any left).

Have you made clafoutis? What is your favorite flavor combination? I'm sure I'll be looking to make my next batch soon and would to hear your ideas.

Spinach and Yellow Pepper Clafoutis
Inspired by Nicole at Baking Bites' Cherry Tomato Clafoutis

1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt (I would skip it in the future as feta has enough salt.)
1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
3 Eggs, large
1 cup Milk (I used 3/4 skim and 1/4 whole)
2 1/2 tsp. Oregano, dried 
1/3 cup Feta Cheese
1/2 cup Yellow Bell Pepper, diced
1 cup Baby Spinach, packed into the measuring cup then torn

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly coat a 6.5" x 10.5" x 2" baking dish with oil.
2. In a large mixing bowl, a 4-cup measuring cup works, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, eggs and milk until the mixture is smooth. Stir in the oregano and cheese.
3. Place the yellow pepper and spinach at the bottom of your baking dish and pour the custard mixture over  them.
4. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn oven down to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake an additional 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick or sharp knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. Cool for 15 minutes before serving. Don't be alarmed - it will deflate.


Find more Crystal Castles albums at Myspace Music

2 comments:

  1. Are those yellow bell peppers, or banana peppers? Looks great! I'm going to add this to my mental list of things that are like quiche, but are not quiche.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yellow Bell Peppers. I'll update the recipe to reflect this and not quiche is an excellent way to describe this too. Thank you. Elliot!

    ReplyDelete