Friday, April 29, 2011

Friday Distractions -- Random Links & Recipes Bookmarked

Ready for the weekend? I always am... To help you pass your Friday here are the highlights of what distracted me this week online, what I bookmarked that I hope to one day eat and a picture. 

Helene of Tartlette's book, Plate to Pixel, on digital food photography came out this week. Her clear voice and amazing recipes have kept me going to her blog, so I look forward to checking out her book sometime at Barnes and Noble. Since I only have a point and shoot camera not a digital SLR, I want to make sure it will work for me before spending my limited budget on it.

New York Public Library is putting their hard copy menu collection on the internet. Read about the project here in the NY Times and view it online here. You can also volunteer to help with the transcription.

Max Lamb creates polystyrene furniture among other things. The sped-up video of his process making a chair highlighted at The Improvised Life is neat.

An amazingly vivid letter from an 8.5 year old named Mel to a school bully. I can't believe she is 8.5. 

I didn't read as much that I fancied online this week. My last two exams of the semester are both Tuesday and I'm trying to stay focused on them. Good thing I have almost no interest in the Royal Wedding or I'd be in trouble. That said I did get suckered into checking out her dress this morning; it was an elegant choice. I cannot wait for my week and a half break before my summer class begins!

Recipes Bookmarked
Baked Dulce de Leche Cheesecake with Toffee Shards from All That's Left Are The Crumbs (via Chef Dennis at More than a Mountful via Georgia at The Comfort of Cooking)
Cinnamon Toast Ice Cream from Tracey's Culinary Adventures
Garam Masala Oatmeal Cookies from NPR's Kitchen Window, which is officially bookmarked. I love the vignettes that go with each week's ingredient focus. (You will see these VERY soon.)
Dehydrated Nuts from Organic Spark (I haven't been eating peanut butter/other nuts as I seem to be a bit intolerant of peanut butter. Sigh. Maybe this would help. ... via Carrie at Deliciously Organic's post with a yummy sounding Lemon Meringue Ice Cream Pie.)
Grapefruit Campari Sorbet from David Lebovitz
Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Coconut Muffins from Marcus Samuelsson (indirectly via Deb at Smitten Kitchen)

Clouds out of the Plane Window, July 2006


Find more Jars Of Clay albums at Myspace Music

I heard this at the gym this week and have never been so happy to not have an iPod. I loved this song in 1995, forgot about it and am happy to rediscover it.

2 comments:

  1. I love flying and seeing the clouds. Great picture. Great idea to have this compilation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is one of my favorite things about flying. Seeing sunsets and sunrises from a plane is always fascinating too. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete