Thursday, April 14, 2011

Work in Progress: Soft Pretzel Bowls

Renata of Testado, Provado & Aprovado! was our Daring Cooks’ April 2011 hostess. Renata challenged us to think “outside the plate” and create our own edible containers. Prizes are being awarded to the most creative edible container and filling, so vote on your favorite from April 17th to May 16th at http://thedaringkitchen.com!

This project was a fascinating one. Everyone has come up with amazing, unique and, often beautiful, containers that I would love to eat. Sadly in spite of multiple attempts I don't have a finished product to share. But I will... Soft pretzel bowls are going to happen and I'm getting close. Maybe next month?

Here are miscellaneous pictures of my process thus far with descriptions as I'm short on time.


Right: Roasted Beets and Asparagus with Diced Horseradish Cheese
Left: Mushrooms in a Sherry-Paprika Sauce with Parsley (for color)

 The yeast was bubbly...a good start.

 Too dry...Add more buttermilk.


The dough isn't that smooth but it will do. I'm trying to learn the mantra 
don't let the perfect get in the way of the good.

 It doubled. Score.
The dough rolled out and cut into circles.


They browned much better than the previous batch and yet were still a touch too crisp.


Midnight last night. Hello, disaster. I told myself tomorrow is a new day and went to bed 
once the pan was soaking. The gray cloud is still following me around today thought...
must see struggles as opportunities and continue to move forward.


Find more David LaMotte songs at Myspace Music

5 comments:

  1. What does one need to do in order to be an official taste-tester?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roasted Beets and Asparagus with Diced Horseradish Cheese AND Mushrooms in a Sherry-Paprika Sauce with Parsley both sounds so delicious and intriguing! Horseradish cheese marvellous with beetroot and asparagus I just love them all. I hope you finish your salty containers soon. Great work!

    Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meena - I would be happy to share! I am certain we can work something out.

    Audax - Thank you! You are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure I understood what happened, your containers looked so good on the upside down muffin pan... Did they burn after adding fillings??
    Anyway, I love your choices of fillings and the bowls look very attractive to me!
    Thanks for participating, I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Renata - They are a bit tough for soft pretzels. I should have mentioned why the recipe needed tweaking! Thank you again for a great challenge.

    ReplyDelete