Friday, September 30, 2011

Friday Distractions -- Random Links & Recipes Bookmarked

Ready for the weekend? I always am... To help you pass your Friday here are the highlights of what distracted me this week online, what I bookmarked that I hope to one day eat and a picture. 

Food rules to remember, or at least keep in mind.

New York Times' Small Fixes section never fails to excite me. Read Fighting Cervical Cancer With Vinegar and Ingenuity by Donald G. McNeil, Jr. to see what thrilled me this time. Given the discussion of healthcare costs being too high in the US, I wonder why some of these low tech, but effective and less expensive techniques can't be implemented in the United States. 

Nick Meek has killer photos. That first mountain shot makes me wish I was hiking, or at least doing something in nature, right about now. (via Leslie on Pinterest)

Gretchen Reynolds' How Exercise Can Strengthen the Brain in the New York Times highlights a recent University of South Carolina study that proved regular physical training in mice stimulated development of new mitochondria in both muscles and the brain. She quotes one of the chief author's, Dr. Davis, as "[speculating] revitalized brain cells also, at least potentially, could reduce mental fatigue and sharpen your thinking even when you’re not exercising." This is one more piece of evidence that I should get back to exercising, even if I feel too busy / am worried about my left leg's hip flexors / any other excuse in the book.

Stream the Dum Dum Girls new album, Only in Dreams, here. It came out on Wednesday, 9/27/11.

Recipes Bookmarked 
Braised Rabbit with Prunes at Simply Recipes
Round Challah at The Cupcake Project


Wild Goose Island, St. Mary Lake, Glacier National Park, Montana, August 2010 (lots of commas!)

No comments:

Post a Comment