Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Peach Melba Gratin

I had a 1/4 cup of raspberries weeping, literally, in the fridge and I need quick way to use them up. Searching my bookmarks for raspberry turned up Deb at Smitten Kitchen's Raspberry Brown Sugar Gratin. Having only three ingredients and very short instructions, I thought it would suit me just fine.

I didn't have enough raspberries, so I added a very ripe peach from the counter into the mix remembering Peach Melba. I've only been meaning to make it since home economics in ninth grade when another group made it and I had serious envy. It, Otis Spunkenmeyer cookies (so chewy) and making a duffel bag are all I remember from that class. Also in the spirit of peach melba, I also vanilla bean to the yogurt.

Deb mentioned using full fat Greek Yogurt in place of the traditional sour cream, I took it one step farther by killing the fat altogether. With all these changes it might taste nothing like the original, but I'll never know because I was perfectly happy with my end result. This one hit the tangy sweet spot just right. 

(It isn't super creamy this way. If you want a creamier texture, you'll want to use reduced fat or full fat yogurt.)

Peach Melba Gratin
adapted from Deb at Smitten Kitchen's Raspberry Brown Sugar Gratin
Yield 1 serving (I eeked out two and both parties wished we had more.)

1/4 cup Fresh Raspberries
1 medium Peach, peeled and sliced
1 teaspoon Brown Sugar (optional)
6 ounces Nonfat Greek Yogurt
1 teaspoon Vanilla Bean Paste (extract would be fine)
1/3 cup Brown Sugar

1. Slice the peach and add it to the raspberries in an oven safe dish (SIZE). If your raspberries are a little tart, toss in a teaspoon of brown sugar and let the mixture macerate for a bit. This will sweeten them up and make the mixture a bit juicier.
2. Preheat broiler. Spread the peaches and raspberries flat. Stir the vanilla into the yogurt and spread it across the fruit. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly across the surface (Deb recommends a sieve or mesh colander for this.).
3. Place the dish under the broiler until the sugar just starts to caramelize, approximately 4-5 minutes in my oven.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment