Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Café Fiorello

Back on June 3rd, my former co-worker, Linda took me to see New York City Ballet and for dinner at Café Fiorello. She saved me from melting into a stressed out disaster in my last job and her generosity knows no end. An evening with good company, food, and ballet can't be topped for me.

I started with the Stracciatella (Italian Chicken Soup). It was my first time having this soup! I wasn't sure that I needed an appetizer, but I'm glad I tried it. The spinach and poached egg make for a nice presentation and the soup has a rich, unique flavor. I'm looking forward to replicating it at home when the cooler weather returns. If only I knew this existed during my trip to Italy...then again hot soup in July would have been a bit much.

For our entree, we shared the "F.Ill Luppi" Prosciutto di Parma Pizza. I don't know how they did it, but this pizza was unlike any other I have had. The crust was thinner than a cracker, soft, and yet firm. Though I was full I could not resist scooping up slice after slice. The aged bsalmic vinegar was a perfect complement to "fior di latte mozzarella, shaved parmigiano," and prosciutto.

I definitely would consider returning here pre-Lincoln Center events, if I felt like splurging and had remembered to make a reservation. The restaurant always seems packed!

Location: 1900 Broadway (between 63rd and 64th Streets)
Hours: Mon-Fri 11:30 a-1:00a, Sat 10:00a-1:00a, Sun 10:00a-11:30p
Cost:
$$$

No comments:

Post a Comment