Thursday, August 9, 2012

Paleo Challenge: Days 1-2

After months of debate (nothing new when it comes to big decisions) I'm dipping my toe into the Paleo Diet with a strict trial run of approximately 30 days. I've needed to do an elimination diet for a while to see if I could resolve some, uh, GI flare-ups and haven't had the discipline. The opportunity to do a challenge with a group from Crossfit Full Circle was the perfect motivation to get with it!

Plus it gave me a group to commiserate with and that always helps. I've been pinched for body fat, measured and weighed and am a few days into the challenge. Technically I started Sunday, but I didn't start logging until Wednesday post-measurements. Posted below is what I've eaten thus far with brief descriptions and some photos. If I ever nail a recipe, I'll post it in full. But something tells me recipes, like the whole challenge will be a work in progress with plenty of repetition.

It hasn't been too bad so far other than my stomach feeling heavy often; I assume it is from all the protein as I wasn't eating much meat. That said I know I'll miss my sweets, with a vengeance, eventually!

Breakfast has been a medium apple plus two egg muffins (eggs, egg whites, Trader Joe's uncured turkey bacon, arugula, spinach and garlic).

Lunch Wednesday was this stir-fry of beef stew tips, onions, green and red peppers and jicama generously doused with lime juice and chili powder. Think of fajitas without the tortilla. Jicama tastes like a cross between an apple and potato.
 
Post-work smoothies have been my favorite part of the day... Wednesday's was 1/2 cup coconut water, 1 cup of spinach, 1 frozen peach, 1 teaspoon chia seed and 2 tablespoons of reduced fat (via dehydration) unsweetened shredded coconut.

Dinner Wednesday was a whole cucumber topped with avocado-lime-basil chicken salad. The chicken salad needs refining, but was pretty tasty and definitely filling. I followed it with 10 raisins for "dessert."

Thursday's lunch was 1/2 an avocado, a cup or so of spring mix and a hamburger patty with a bit of lime juice. 

 
This is not pond sludge. It is Thursday's smoothie made from 1/2 cup flax milk (don't get it...it has trace amounts of tapioca starch...my bad), 1/2 cup spinach, 1/2 cup dinosaur kale, 1.5 tablespoons of cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon of chia seeds and a frozen banana. It probably needed a tad less cocoa powder as it was a tiny bit bitter.

Dinner was super sketchy leftover pulled pork from last Friday's Crossfit grand opening party/Jess's going away party sauced up with a puree of coconut oil, whole cilantro, salt and ground red pepper with the equally sketchy broccoli salad from the same place. I heated this for a good while in the microwave to be safe. ;)

For filler and to maximize veggies, I improvised Gazpacho in the Vitamix from tomatoes, tomato juice (home canned), zucchini, cucumber, olive oil, sesame oil, red wine vinegar, onion and garlic. I'm working on having a cup per day.

Unpictured from Wednesday: 1 date, 1/3 cup blueberries, Cherry Pie Lara bar, 1 ounce barbeque and 3 pieces of broccoli salad.

Unpictured from Thursday: 5 or 6 small pieces of grilled zucchini, a slice of Tavern Ham and some blueberries. We'll see how many I'm still getting there!

I've consumed about 50 ounces of water each day, which for me is good. I'm sure sure my body can handle more liquid.

We'll miss you Jess! Have a safe move.

No comments:

Post a Comment