Friday, November 18, 2011

Friday Distractions -- Random Links & Recipes Bookmarked

Ready for the weekend? To help you pass your Friday here are the highlights of what distracted me this week online, what I bookmarked that I hope to one day eat and a picture.   
 
The Atlantic's highlights from the National Geographic Photo Contest 2011 are serious eye candy. My favorites are 14, 35, 36 (those feathers look like sequins!) and 39.

"Our children are suffering from a lack of any fruits or vegetables whatsoever. Canned, frozen, dried, juiced—anything would help. Here's a simple dictum for public health, endorsed by nutritionists across the land: All forms of fruits and vegetables matter." Not So Fresh: Does Michelle Obama's war on obesity give short shrift to canned and frozen produce? I'm learning this lesson, again, right now.

A recap of David Chang of Momofuku's Science & Cooking Public Lecture at Harvard... “It’s like a spice rack, if you collide micro-organisms with food – it makes the food delicious.” The lecture series has covered some fascinating topics and past lectures can be watched online. I'll be checking some of them out over the holiday break. 

My Slow Prose Manifesto by Karen J. Ohlson sounds exactly like me in the kitchen (and perhaps elsewhere). "When I ask myself why I do things slowly, my stock answer is: I’m not choosing to be slow; it’s the only way I know how to be. But if I’m honest, I know it’s the only way I can feel satisfied."

DIY Glittered Flatware at Oh Happy Day because sparkly things are pretty and for this tip "The secret to this whole project is the glitter paint. Unlike regular glitter the glitter paint doesn’t get glitter everywhere and when dry the glitter doesn’t come off on your fingers! Really!!"

Recipes Bookmarked
Green Beans with Dates, Oranges and Hazelnuts at Deliciously Organic
Homemade Chicken Stock at Deliciously Organic (of interest is the concept of simmering it for 24 hours)
4-Ingredient Pumpkin Frozen Yogurt at Babble
Frozen Coconut Yogurt with Cinnamon via VitalJuice
Homesick Texan Carnitas at Smitten Kitchen
Porchetta at Home at Amateur Gourmet
Sauteed Kale with Tahini Sauce at Simply Recipes

Mosaic Tile at The Little Chapel in the Woods, Denton, TX, October 2011

Cough Syrup

No comments:

Post a Comment