Friday, June 17, 2011

Friday Distractions -- Random Links & Recipes Bookmarked

Ready for the weekend? I always am... To help you pass your Friday here are the highlights of what distracted me this week online, what I bookmarked that I hope to one day eat and a picture.   

Six Word Story Every Day tells a story daily through 6 words (obviously). If you enjoy typography, you'll like it. Silence Has Never Sounded So Good at Time and a Half led me to their website and may be my favorite. Windows not frosted but steamed up, He leapt, fell but never landed. and Broken words for the broken souls also caught my fancy.

I ended up at Time and a Half thanks to Kristina at Up Your Wall noting that Kat there had highlighted some of their art. Liesl Pfeffer's twist on travel photography truly is art. I love Mountain Waits. Yes, there is a theme here; mountains amaze me.

Speaking of mountains, I would like to join the mob of tourists visiting the Great Smoky Mountains National Park to witness the synchronous fireflies mating. That NY Times video is a nice technical overview, but here's a pretty picture. Hurray for a new, domestic destination (Gatlinburg, TN) that isn't out West.  

With the big 30 coming in September I may have to copy Subtle Revelry's matchstick birthday candles.

I've always been intrigued by antique lampshades with swing-y fringe; this fringe chandelier at The Sweetest Occasion takes that idea to the next level.

The FDA has created new rules for Sunscreen labeling as the NY Times detailed here. Most relevant is this advice for selecting sunscreen "Dermatologists suggest that consumers look for products that say 'broad spectrum,' have an SPF between 30 and 50 and generally reapply lotion every 40 to 80 minutes." Here's to avoiding sunburn this summer!

It wouldn't be a complete week if I didn't link something awesome from Courtney. This week I've chosen Juliette Tang's Still Life with Book photo series on Flickr. Juliette creates a still life portrait based on a book's contents that includes the book.

Recipes Bookmarked
Apple Pancake Cake (Gluten-Free) at VitalJuice
Asparagus, Mushroom and Ham Quiche with a Potato Crust at PositScience (because a potato crust sounds brilliant!) from For the Love of Cooking
Blueberry Sorbet at Simply Recipes
Faux Full Fat Blue Cheese Potato Salad at Audax Artifex
Mango-Ginger Potato Salad at Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives
Oat Bran and Flax Seeds Whole Wheat Broom Bread at Gayathri's Cook Spot
Potato Power Salad (Beets, Avocado, Edamame and Tahini Dressing) at Zodelicious

Great Falls Park, McLean, Virginia, April 2009

Find more artists like Those Darlins at Myspace Music
I prefer their more recent music as it is a bit less country but it is all good.

2 comments:

  1. I see these posts every week and Fridays are always insane, but now that I know what I am missing, I am going to make time! This is awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Dina! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. You can always look at the archives when you have time if Fridays are too crazy for you. It seems to me like being a SAHM makes everyday a little mad.

    ReplyDelete