Tuesday, September 14, 2010

September 2010 Daring Cooks' Challenge: Applebutter Canned!

The September 2010 Daring Cooks’ challenge was hosted by John of Eat4Fun. John chose to challenge The Daring Cooks to learn about food preservation, mainly in the form of canning and freezing. He challenged everyone to make a recipe and preserve it. John’s source for food preservation information was from The National Center for Home Food Preservation.

This challenge was very intimidating! Canning has been an idea that interests me but also one I've found a reason to avoid. John's challenge left me with no excuse but to face my fear and his meticulous instructions must have left no room for error because I'm the proud owner of a pint of canned apple butter.

My biggest struggle was how to extract the canned applebutter, keeping it level, from my stockpot after the boiling and cooling... I'm very lucky it sealed as I dropped it on its side several times back in the water before realizing I needed to carefully use both the tongs and the spatula, which barely worked. Water creates a lot of drag. Any tips on how to get canned goods out of the water?

In retrospect, I should have purchased two 3 pound bags of apples if I was going to go through the whole process but even having one successfully canned item is exciting. Nevermind that I never want to open the jar as staring at it makes me so happy. Fortunately, I saved the other half of the applebutter and am enjoying it homemade baguette slices, plain yogurt and/or by the spoonful. It's a delicious, cinnamon spiced fruit spread that is perfect for Fall without any added sugar. Even if you don't want to can it, you should make some applebutter to celebrate the new season.

9 comments:

  1. Sarah, I never think to post more detailed instructions for canning. I did a ton of canning this summer, including the DC challenge. You need to buy a little kit that has a rubber coated tongs just for lifting jars. If you go on to the Bernardin website you will see this kit. Or Ball, which is more US based. Check my blog for all the things I canned this year. Congrats on completing this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apple butter is something I haven't tasted yet, but it looks interesting. I think I'm going to make some to put on my plain yogurt too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly wouldn't have thought to enjoy it with plain yogurt, but that doesn't sound half bad. Well done on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah - Thank you for the tip! Being frugal definitely wasn't to my advantage in this challenge I suppose.

    Chef D - I've always loved it. One of my Grandma's has canned it for years and I always mixed hers with cottage cheese (before I overdosed on it). I like how the sweet is cut by the savory. You should try it!

    Kristina - Try cottage cheese too and see which you prefer. I promise it's tasty! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, if you want the taste of apple butter, but don't feel like canning (or have a shit ton of apples lying around) i highly recommend applesauce. it's about as easy as easy gets. all you need is apples, apple juice/cider (optional), a little brown sugar (optional), cinnamon (optional), a big pot and a ricer or fork. food processor helps too if you have one.
    homemade applesauce can be canned if you want, but i have found it will stay good in the fridge a month or two if sealed tight and mine never lasts that long anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great job on the apple butter too! it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emily - I have a ricer and used it on the apple butter. Applesauce is a great idea. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love apple butter and yours looks great! I didn't make any, as it was so hot here, but the weather has turned and now I want some. I do lots of canning, and I don't have those special jar tongs. I use one of those bulky silicone oven mitts. You can reach right into the boiling water with it to place and remove the jars. So, if you've got one, try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary - I don't have a silicone oven mitt but I appreciate having another idea to consider. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete