Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Thin Mints

To celebrate my friend Danielle's birthday I made her Baking Bites' Thin Minties, as Thin Mints are her favorite cookie. The resulting cookies weren't machine perfect but they were crisp with a hint of mint and the requisite chocolate coating.

I added approximately 3 tablespoons of milk to the batter to make it form cohesive logs and I would recommend adding a bit more mint extract (perhaps to the chocolate coating) to make the mint flavor more prominent. I'd make a recommendation for my biggest issue with the cookies but I have no ideas... The chocolate coating never hardened!

I let the cookies cool completely prior to coating them in the chocolate/butter mixture and ultimately let them sit overnight with wax paper over them. In the morning? They were still soft. I ended up putting wax paper pieces between each one to prevent a mess and ultimately suggesting that Danielle keep them in the fridge, which isn't so bad as Thin Mints always taste good cold.

These were fun to try but I don't think they are worth the effort involved. I'll probably stick to supporting the Girls Scouts (or stealing cookies from others who support the Girls Scouts) when I want Thin Mints in the future. If you live nearby feel free to arrange a visit for a frozen cookie or two in the next few weeks... I have extras in my freezer.

6 comments:

  1. I randomly came across your page and thought I'd share that for St.Pattys day I made thin mint chunk cookies and thin mint cupcakes which turned out awesome! must be thin mint week! haha
    cuppycakebakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the perfect week for Thin Mint week. Your cupcakes sound yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thin mints are my favorite! Too bad the chocolate didn't harden up too well, or else i would've made them asap. If you ever try again, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will let you know if I find a better one though I'm going to TRY to stop baking for a bit and be healthy... One of my roommates just sent me a Martha Stewart version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking the recipe. Great job on your Thin Mints.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome. Baking Bites is a great blog!

    ReplyDelete