Sunday, October 7, 2007

Pio Pio

I didn't have a voice tonight for the third day in a row, but I did eat very, very well in my own neighborhood. I ran into Megan at Cavatappo on Friday and we agreed to have dinner. She said if we could come up with 4 people, we could eat well for cheap at Pio Pio. Pio Pio came through on both fronts.

Megan, Mya, Leslie, and I met outside at 7:00 pm on Sunday. It took around 30 minutes to get a table, but it only took 5 minutes to get our food once inside. The service was attentive, but they never got around to bring us water... Good thing we ordered that pitcher of Sangria. It was sweet and the fruit was well saturated.

We ordered the Matador Combo, which consists of Chicken Pio, Rice & Beans, Avocado Salad, Salchipapas (roughly hot dogs and fries), and Tostones (flattened green plantains with a garlicky dipping sauce). I'm typically not a rotisserie chicken person, but this chicken was moist, full of flavor, and served with silverware, unlike other South American chicken places I have been to, so I'm in a love. The chicken actually ended up being my favorite part of the meal. The spicy green sauce compliments it perfectly, but thank God for the avocado to cool down your mouth afterward! My least favorite part of the meal was the Avocado Salad, but it was only disappointing aesthetically; the salad was more like a sliced veggie plate than anything else.

Receiving our check, a mere $50.00, confirmed my desire to go back. I'm so excited to take my family when they visit. Mom loves Sangria and we all like South American food.

Location: 1746 First Avenue (between 90th and 91st streets)
Hours: Sun-Sat 11:00a-11:00p
Cost: $

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to add this place to our list of places to eat. Sounds yummy & I love any kind of Spanish food!

    ReplyDelete