Friday, September 4, 2009

Burger Buns

Before heading to Nagshead, goat cheese lentil burgers were back on the menu and I needed bread or buns. I didn't have milk or yogurt, so I spent some time seeking a recipe online. King Arthur's Beautiful Burger Buns were a good fit for my needs. Gosh, I love the internet.

They were simple to put together and held up really well against the prosciutto, mozzarella tomato and basil sandwiches I actually ended up eating all week. I could make the sandwich the night before, wrap it in saran wrap and leave it in the fridge with minimal deterioration. There is nothing worse than mushy food, so this was great!

The buns are slightly sweet, have a very fine i.e. messy crumb and a dry texture. While practical and good, I will probably continue to seek a different recipe for buns. I'd like a bun that makes less of a mess when I'm eating it.


Happy Labor Day!

3 comments:

  1. I really want to try making my own buns too. I was thinking of trying the "Lighter Brioche Buns" from Smitten Kitchen, but now maybe I will try these :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those were originally the buns I intended to make! But I didn't have milk... These are much simpler. I also have tried these: http://citysatiety.blogspot.com/2008/05/soft-yogurt-sandwich-rolls.html. If you prefer sour to sweet go with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Maybe i will try a few buns! (that's what she said...sorry can't help it). Once it gets colder out, it's nice to have things baking in the oven anyway :)

    ReplyDelete